Deprecated: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in tmls_widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use __construct() instead. in /home/dr80zm6rwv7q/public_html/ on line 4955
UK Visa – Velvet Visas

UK Visa

Information about different types of Visas.

UK Business Visas

The UK issues Standard Visitor Visas to some categories of visitors including business visitors.

Even if you are travelling to the UK for business you have to apply for the Standard Visitor Visa and this visa permits you to carry out many other activities including leisure, holiday, seeing family and friends, taking part in sports, music or other creative events as well as receiving medical treatment.

Please note that regardless of this bundling of visas into one standard it remains very important to state your own reason for wanting to visit the UK very clearly.

It is equally important to establish your intention by providing as much information and evidence as possible to prove that you are visiting the UK for business.

There are sections of the application form in which you need to state whether you will be doing other things besides your business activities.

If you will be engaging in any activities apart from business it is best to state these activities clearly and show that you can comfortably afford any associated costs.

Even if it is something as little as visiting a friend, you should bear in mind the cost of transport to your friend’s home and back to your hotel or other accommodation and show that your budget can comfortably cover any and all such expenses.


To receive the Standard Visitor Visa the rules have been simplified and the application process is online.

You only need to answer all questions clearly and supply and supporting evidence as well as explain any extraordinary circumstances in a truthful, straightforward and honest manner.

Although the embassy reserves a right to call applicants for interview, most applications can start and complete without an interview.

If you are a first time applicant or if your last application was submitted before the introduction of biometric capture procedures, you will be required to attend for biometrics where finger print information and eye scans can be completed even if you are not requested to attend the high commission for an interview.

Your application for a Standard Visa is very likely to succeed if you demonstrate in the form and with supporting documents that:

  • You will leave the UK at the end of your visit.
  • You’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip.
  • You’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit.
  • You have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules.

For multiple entry and longer-term visit visas, we would advise that you ensure a strong demonstration that:

  • You have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK.
  • Your reason for coming to the UK is unlikely to change while your visitor visa is valid.
  • You plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit.

If the above are not clearly shown by evidence and information in your application a visa for a shorter period than requested may still be issued to you provided you have met all other criteria.

For a long term visas you would usually have paid a higher visa fee than the set cost for short term visas.

This makes it imperative that you justify your application for a longer-term visa because you will not get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or your application is refused.

It is important to know that your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows you’re repeatedly living and staying in the UK for extended periods rather than entering and leaving the UK.

When you apply you’ll need to provide
  • A current passport or other valid travel identification.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, such as bank statements or payslips from the last 6 months.
  • A passport with at least one page that is blank on both sides for printing of your visa.
  • A passport that is valid for the whole of your stay in the UK and preferably valid beyond your return date to Nigeria.
  • The dates you’re planning to travel to the UK.
  • Details of where you’ll be staying during your visit.
  • How much you think your trip will cost.
  • Your current home address and how long you’ve lived there.
  • Your parents’ names and dates of birth.
  • How much you earn in a year.
You might also need:
  • Details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport).
  • Your employer’s address and telephone number.
  • Your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number.
  • The name and address of anyone paying for your trip.
  • The name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK.
  • Details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed.
For further information on Immigration Rules, visitor rules and Immigration Rules for visitors click here
  • UK Economy

    The UK economy offers enormous investment opportunities in different sectors. It is the fifth-largest national economy in the world measured by nominal gross domestic product, ninth-largest measured by purchasing power parity.

    Wikipedia records that the service sector dominates the UK economy, contributing around 80% of GDP.

    The financial services industry is particularly important, and London is the world's largest financial centre.

    Read more about the UK Economy
  • UK - Nigeria Trade Relations

    The volume of trade between Nigeria and the United Kingdom is huge. It is expected to exceed N7.7 trillion (£20 billion) by 2020

    Read More

Would you like to visit UK on business?

Vacation Visa


You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK: for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends.


You must always show that:

  • You’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • You’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip
  • You’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit
  • You have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules.

Click here for visitor’s rule

If you’re applying for a long-term visit visa You must prove that:
  • You have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK.
  • The reason why you need to come to the UK is unlikely to change while your visitor visa is valid.
  • You plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit.
  • You may be given a visa for a shorter period than requested if you don’t do this. You won’t get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or your application is refused.
  • Your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows you’re repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.
If you’re applying as an academic, you can stay in the UK for 12 months. You must prove you’re highly qualified within your field of expertise or you are on sabbatical leave from your home institution and visiting to either:
  • Take part in a formal exchange with a UK counterpart carry out your own research.
  • Take part in someone else’s research, teaching or clinical practice - as long as this doesn’t involve filling a permanent teaching post.

If you’re applying to visit for private medical treatment, You must prove that you:

  • Have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK.
  • Have made or paid for arrangements for consultations or treatment.
  • Have enough money to pay for your treatment, support yourself without using public funds and pay for your return or onward journey.
  • Will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires.
  • Are not a danger to public health if you’re suffering from an infectious disease, such as leprosy.
Documents you must provide​
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
  • Fill application form online.
  • A current passport or other valid travel identification.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, such as bank statements or payslips from the last 6 months.
  • You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa. Your passport must be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.
  • You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.
  • Any original documents you submit as part of your application will be sent back to you.

Places to visit

There are many ways to enjoy your activities in UK through guide-led tours. Read more

Would you like to visit UK for vacation?

UK Family Visas

The UK can grant you a family visa to come to the UK and live with your family member for more than 6 months.

You can apply to visit or live with the following family members only:​
  • Husband, Wife or Civil Partner
  • Fiancé, Fiancée or Proposed Civil Partner
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Any other relative who will provide long-term care for you​.

If you’re already in the UK, you can apply to extend your visa to stay with your family member.

If you came to the UK on another visa, you may be able to apply to stay on in the UK with your:
  • Spouse or partner
  • Child
  • Parent

You may also be able to apply to stay on the basis of your private life if you’ve lived in the UK for a significant amount of time.

If you’re visiting the UK for 6 months or less, check if you need a Standard Visitor visa or Marriage Visitor visa.

How long it will take?
A decision will usually be made:
  • Within 12 weeks if you apply outside the UK
  • Within 8 weeks if you apply in the UK
  • On the same day if you use the premium service to apply in person
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
  • You don’t meet the minimum income requirement
  • You can’t prove your knowledge of English
  • You need to attend an interview
  • The Home Office has to write to you because you haven’t provided all the evidence they need
  • Because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

You may also have to pay the healthcare charge as part of your application. Check how much you need to pay before you apply.

Would you like to migrate your family to UK?

Why Study in UK?

UK qualifications are recognized by employers and organizations worldwide. The UK education system has a reputation for quality standards at all levels with many institutions considered to be among the best in the world for teaching and research. UK courses encourage independence, creativity and self-reliance: the kinds of qualities that employers around the world are looking for. Degree courses last three years (not four as in many other countries), and master’s degree courses can take one year (not two), dramatically reducing your costs. A safe environment, established support services for international students and likely access to free healthcare. Thousands of scholarship opportunities. A fun and friendly student culture. Opportunities for part-time and vacation work in the UK as well as organized work placements at leading businesses as part of courses. Studying in UK is a base for exploring historic parts of the UK and mainland Europe and a experience of living as part of a multicultural society.

Earning While Studying in UK

Current immigration regulations permit international students to work only part time up to maximum of 20 hours a week and full-time during vacations. By working 10 to 15 hours a week, you could earn enough to pay for incidentals such as books, clothing, and personal expenses, but your campus job cannot pay your major expenses, such as tuition or room and board.

  • Admission
    Admission in UK
    Entry Requirement

    Enquiries concerning admission to a graduate course should be sent by the students to the institutions at least twelve months before the proposed start date. Most institutions do not have a formal closing date for receipt of applications; however, admission to a taught course may have to be submitted by a specific date which varies from course to course. It is also advisable to apply as early as possible given the closing dates and possible level of competition for scholarships given by foundations, trusts and the universities themselves.


    For Admission to Master’s Degree a UK Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject, awarded with first or second-class Honors, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a university or educational institution of university rank is required. Where the US/Canadian marking scheme is used, a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required.

    Language Tests

    You may have to take one of the following tests: International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with score 6 or above depending on the course and institution; grade C in Cambridge Proficiency of English or Cambridge Advanced English; Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with score 550 or above; NEAB University Entrance Test in English for speakers of other languages at Grade 3.

    If international students plan to study in England’s top universities, they will need to take the IELTS Test. However, TOEFL test can also considered as part of their admission requirements in many universities but keep in mind it is not accepted by many British universities yet. From Cambridge and Oxford Universities, to Kings College, the Imperial College of London and Regent’s College, the IELTS or TOEFL test is part of the admissions process to determine whether non-English speaking students have the language skills to succeed.

    Approximate Fees (Average of Many Universities)

    • MBA: GBP 6000 – GBP 25000
    • Arts: GBP 5000 – GBP 25000
    • Engineering: GBP 7000 – GBP16000

    Medical Care

    If your course lasts for more than six months, you will be entitled to free medical care under the UK’s National Health Service. Even if your course lasts for less than six months, your country might have a reciprocal agreement with the UK which will mean that you also are entitled to free medical care. If your country does not have a reciprocal agreement however, and your course lasts less than six months you should set aside sufficient funds to pay for medical insurance.

    Until recently, if you wanted to take a job whilst studying in the UK you first had to obtain permission to do so. This situation changed this year. You are now allowed to work up to twenty hours per week during term time and an unlimited number of hours during vacation time. Similarly you are able to do work placements which are part of a ‘sandwich degree’ or undertake internship placements with multinational employers.

  • Visa Process
    Student Visa Process
    Immigration and student visa Information for UK

    Students belonging to India will need to obtain a British Student Visa to study in UK. They can do this at the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of Britain.

    Documents Required for Study Permits in UK
    • A valid passport.
    • A letter of unconditional acceptance for a full-time course from a university.
    • Mark sheets of previously joined exams.
    • Evidence of sufficient funds to overcome all the living expenses and study costs in UK.
    • Evidence of your financial ability to meet, without working in the UK, the costs of your course, accommodation and maintenance and to support any dependants accompanying you.
    • Letters of recommendations are appreciated.
    • Time of validity of the student visa to be received is usually determined by the length of your course of study.
    • Student Visa Doesn’t Allow

    • Working more than 20 hrs per week.
    • Your placement is part of your studies, has the agreement of your education institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognized examining body.
    • Do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer.
    • Work full-time in a permanent job.
    Passport stickers, stamp and length of stay

    When you apply for a student visa at a British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission outside the UK, you will receive a sticker known as vignette, in your passport with the conditions and length of stay. When you arrive at the airport, you will receive a stamp to show when you entered the United Kingdom.

    If you are applying for entry at a port of entry (you can only do this if you are from a non visa required nation), you will get a stamp in your passport with conditions and length of stay.

    Most of the overseas students (from outside the European Union) are initially given the right to stay for one year. But there is nothing to worry about, if you want to stay longer as a student then you may extend your visa validity length as a student.

    The Immigration Officer may endorse on your passport with any other restriction that may apply to you.
  • Financial Aids
    Financial Aids Available

    Generally no scholarships are provided in UK. However if you are extraordinary then you may be eligible for some financial aid. In United Kingdom, fee is charged higher for non-EU students. It is because British Government doesn’t provide any financial support for providing education to non-EU students. Since Living cost and university or college fee is comparatively expensive, it is very important for you to be financially capable to carry on your studies in UK.

    To support your costs while studying in UK, you are permitted to do 20 hours a week of part-time job. However it is not sure that you may get the job in UK, so be careful. If you are financially not capable before you enter UK and are thinking to spend the money you have earned doing part-time job in UK for your studies then you may have problem after you’ll be unable to get any type of job in United Kingdom. Most of the Asian students are getting such problem. But in the popular cities like London, students find job easily.

  • University List
    Universities in UK
    • University of Aberdeen
    • Abertay University
    • Anglia Polytechnic University
    • Aston University
    • The University of Bath
    • Birmingham University
    • Bournemouth University
    • Bradford University
    • University of Brighton
    • Bristol University
    • Brunel University
    • University of Buckingham
    • University of Cambridge
    • University of Central England
    • University of Central Lancashire
    • City University
    • Coventry University Cranfield University
    • Derby University
    • University of Dunde
    • Durham University
    • University of East Anglia
    • University of East London
    • Edinburgh University
    • University of Essex
    • Exeter University
    • Glasgow Caledonian University
    • University of Glamorag
    • Glasgow University
    • University of Greenwich
    • London Guildhall University
    • Heriot Watt University
    • University of Hertfordshire
    • Huddersfield University
    • University of Hull
    • The University of the Highlands and Islands Project
    • Keele University
    • University of Kent
    • Kingston University
    • Lancaster University
    • University of Leeds
    • Leeds Metropolitan University
    • University of Leicester
    • De Montfort University
    • University of Lincolnshire and Humberside
    • Liverpool University
    • Liverpool John Moores University
    • University of London
    • Loughborough University
    • University of Luton
    • Manchester Metropolitan University
    • University of Manchester
    • Manchester Business School
    • University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology
    • Middlesex University
    • Napier University
    • Newcastle University
    • University of Northumbria
    • University of Northumbria
    • University of North London
    • Nottingham University
    • Nottingham Trent University
    • The Open University
    • Oxford University
    • Oxford Brookes University
    • Paisley University
    • Plymouth University
    • The University of Portsmouth
    • Queen’s University Belfast
    • St.Mary’s University College
    • Stranmillis University College
    • Reading University
    • Robert Gordon University
    • St.Andrews University
    • University of Salford
    • The University of Sheffield
    • Sheffield Hallam University
    • University of Southampton
    • South Bank University
    • Staffordshire University
    • Stirling University
    • The University of Strathclyde
    • Sunderland University
    • University of Surrey
    • Sussex University
    • University of Teesside
    • Thames Valley University
    • University of Ulster
    • Univerity of Wales
    • University of Wales Swansea
    • University of Wales Institute
    • University of Warwick
    • University of the West of England
    • University of Westminster
    • University of Wolverhampton
    • University of York
  • Living Cost
    Living Cost
    Private Accommodation

    It is important to remember, if you are using the lists of private rented accommodation provided by Student Housing Services, that although they try to secure a range of good quality housing at reasonable prices, the properties have not been inspected. You should not assume that listed accommodation is “approved accommodation”. You should never accept accommodation without first seeing the property. When you find accommodation you may have to pay a deposit immediately of up to one month’s rent and also one month’s rent in advance (always ask for a receipt). You may also have to pay a deposit for gas, electricity and telephone services. You should therefore have available around £800 for initial expenses such as deposit, rent in advance and the cost of temporary accommodation.Your landlord or landlady will usually expect the rent on a fixed day, weekly or monthly in advance. Make sure you have a rent book or a receipt for the rent. If your landlord or landlady does not provide a rent book, buy one yourself (available from stationery shops) and ask them to sign it when you pay rent. A rent book may also list certain house rules (or these may be displayed elsewhere in the house). Check you understand these and can keep to them as they may form part of your contract of tenancy and are usually aimed at keeping the household running smoothly.In self-contained flats, your rent will usually be payable monthly and your landlord or landlady is unlikely to live on the premises. Any rules you are required to keep will be written in the lease or agreement you have signed which is legally binding. The lease will usually be for specific periods and once you sign you are committed to renting the flat for that length of time. So study the lease carefully before signing, and if necessary take legal advice.

    Money Matters

    Before coming to the UK you should organize your money to ensure you have enough at the start of your course and for the duration of your course. You will also need to investigate the best ways to bring money into the UK.Most students will have to buy bedding, clothes and basic essentials a the beginning of their stay. London is in general, milder than other parts of the UK. The summer tends to be warm; winter is usually cold and damp; spring and autumn are somewhere in between. £300 should be enough for additional clothing needs.

    Entertainment Costs

    London hosts a wide range of entertainment venues catering to all groups of people. Dinner out can cost from £15 upwards. Cinemas in Central London cost around £10. Clubs cost from £8-£15. There are special discounts available to students so make sure you ask.

    Travel Costs

    The cost of traveling in London is dependent on where you are traveling to and how often you need to travel. Weekly underground passes cost between £18.00 (or travel in central zones one and two) and £35 if you are traveling between central and outer London. Bus passes are much cheaper. Excellent discounts exist for full-time students.

    London is very well served by British Rail. Reductions are available on British Rail if you buy a Young Person’s Rail card, which is available to anyone under 25 years. If you are over 25 you are entitled to a Student Rail card if you are engaged in 15 or more hours of education a week. Both cards obtain a one third reduction in price on train tickets. These cards can be purchased from BR train stations. British Rail has a number of special offers. Tickets may be cheaper if you book them in advance. These are known as Apex fares. It is important to note that when traveling at peak hours, that is, before 9am and on certain trains from about 5pm to 7pm, tickets will be considerably more expensive. Traveling on a Friday and on certain other days throughout the year is also more expensive.

  • Country Facts
    Country Facts
    • Capital: London
    • Population: 60,094,648
    • Area: 244,110 sq km
    • Language: English
    • Religion: Anglican, Roman Catholic, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Jewish
    • Currency: British Pounds (£) GBP
    • Drives on: right

Would you like to study in UK?